How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Peterborough, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Wireless Internet Access: Our home has wireless connectivity so all residents have access to the internet.
- Montessori Program: Our Montessori Program helps residents living with dementia connect with things and activities from their past. The Behavioural Support Team learns as much as they can about the resident’s past from friends and family and then tailors activities to their past history. It helps them to feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Gardening Program: Many residents enjoy our Gardening Program which features raised planter boxes on wheels.
- Cooking & Baking: We have a country kitchen in our activity room where residents can cook and bake to their heart’s content. We also have a once a month lunch club in which members buy the ingredients and cook themselves a meal.
- Themed Parties: Once a month we have a themed party based on resident suggestions and twice a month we have a birthday party for residents who are celebrating birthdays.
- Live Entertainment: Twice a week we host evening socials that feature living entertainment by local musicians who donate their time and talents.
- Annual Corn Roast: Residents, family, friends and staff look forward to and enjoy our annual corn roast each summer.
- Residents Council: Our Residents Council operates and staffs a Tuck Shop 3 afternoons a week where they sell, among other things, coffee and fresh baked goods in a small café setting.
- Activity Room: Our activity room is always busy with regular bingo games, sing-alongs, current events discussions and more.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist